Tuesday, April 11, 2006

INDIAN MOUNDS

Once a long time ago way went out in the country to an indian mound. I think we were visiting Uncle Carlos in Memphis. But it could have been Aunt Nita. I remember going out on an old road and then crossing some railroad tracks . THen we came to a mound. I think we walked into an excavation under a roof or dome. And layed out in front of us was the Inidan bones they were excavating. This was a long time ago. But the memory is still there.
If this was Uncle Carlos hause we did stay the night at his house. I got to watch Howdy Doody for the first time. Remember I did not have a tv when I was growing up.

Camellia says: when did you get a tv? Our first was when Uncle Carlis spent the night with us. We might have already discussed this...I think the Terrells got the first tv, and we went over to watch it...all we could see was snow with shadows moving across it. And Pearl and Ross got the first color tv...and the color was so bad, I wondered why.

Now...the Chukalissa Indian villege http://cas.memphis.edu/chucalissa/ is in Memphis. Jake and I saw it when I took him and a friend to the zoo, and we got lost on our way out of town. Jake told his friend, "My mother gets lost in the best places." We had done it enough, he knew it to be true. I figured getting lost was tourist instructions from God, so we took advantage of it. The villege was great...especially the grave. There was a woman with a baby who also had her head between her legs. I have pondered that for many years. And a young man of high status who died of a tooth abcess. I don't think they show the grave any more.

How many of you went to the Winterville mounds outside of Greenville? and raise your hands now, how many of you have seen the Petrified Forest at Flora? I have! I have!...and it really doesn't look like that forest where Annie hid out in Orphan Annie. But it's a nice trek. ****

No comments: