Monday, February 27, 2006

Hollandale

One summer Scarlett and I went to Hollandale to stay with Aunt Nita. She lived in a duplex next to Johnny and Joe. Their mother painted in oils. It was the time of cock-eye...cars with one headlight. If girls called it first, they got to hit the boys. If boys called it first, they got to kiss the girls. We made cookies every day, walking to the store and buying ingrediants. Chocolate chip was a particular favorite. Johnny and Joe helped. Joe and I were cooking the day Janice drank clorax, or rather we thought she did, and we took her to the doctor's clinic. Johnny drove and Jackie and I went with Janice. Sandra stayed home with the other kids. Jackie was perturbed because Janice had colored on her legs with ink pens. The doctor pumped her stomach out, but couldn't smell any clorax. Janice said she only tasted the top.

We baked cookie all day, played conasta with Aunt Nita at night on the front porch, and counted cock-eyes. Aunt Nita knew lots of card games and loved them. Scarlett and Johnny were really good at cock-eye.

Johnny and Joe asked to take us to church on Wednesday night. Nita said yes, and that we could go out after. Did we ever go out! We played chase with other cars, and drove out to LeRoy Percy and drove under the mossy trees with our lights off. Then we went back to town to find some more guys to play chase with. Around 12:00 one car pulled up next to us, and Johnny stopped. Both drivers rolled their windows down. It was Uncle Edward. He said, Go home.

When we got there, Nita was at the hand wringing stage. Whatever possessed you to stay out that late? she asked. We really didn't know. We were with the guys we went to church with, and she said we could stay out. We didn't even know what time it was. She just looked at us for a bit, and then she made her pronouncement. "I won't tell your mother if you don't."

It was a great summer. Can we play conasta at Tiak o'Khata? I don't remember how.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that summer visit - but I think it was fudge-making that was interrupted by Janice's Clorox cocktail! I was so jealous of ya'll - you had boyfriends & got to skate & dance. You're right - Mama was scared of Aunt Margie!

By the way, on the music collection, if anyone is doing it - My Valentine isn't Funny any more. I prefer MOON DANCE by Van Morrison. I am enjoying reading the memories.

Camellia said...

Every time some one talks on the blog, I feel the way I felt when they rolled into Granny's driveway. More complete. I want to hear your memories. Do you remember the movie in Oak Grove? I am so glad you are here.