Monday, February 27, 2006

Switches who remembers switches

Y'all talk about riding hogs, I remember one day we rode the calf or maybe it was sliding of the barn roof at Gary's? I don't remember.

But Aunt Imogene found out and we were told to each go get a switch from the willow tree. Well the first one was not big enough so we had to go
back and get a big one. We were then told to drop jeans and bend over. We did not ride the calf after that.

Manager 1 (2-27-06):
Elise says that she has heard tales of Blackie - My tail heard it too. My parents never discriminated - and always - if one had to line up - all had to line up - Because if you weren't doing it, you wanted to or you were thinking about doing it! I guess Blackie was known by cousins too! Good ed, did you ever meet him?

Camellia (2-27-06) I remember Big Blackie, and I thought there was Big Brownie also. I never remember getting a switch or Big Blackie. I do remember one night out in the country, and the grown-ups were playing cards and there were two palettes of children, and we were in two separate rooms and the light came from the card room, and the grown-ups were laughing so hard, and we got to laughing and they told us to quit, which didn't seem quite fair, they were laughing so much, and we laughed harder and Franklin said, Do I need to get Big Blackie? and we laughed harder, but maybe softer, and even though we tried real hard not to, we fell asleep.

Jim Skinners Sister E-ah (3/04/06)
I remember when mother sent me and my dear brother Jack out to find a switch. I was supposed to get one for Jacks whipping and Jack was to get one for my whipping. When we got back into the house, Jack brought in a BIG LIMB, I, on the other hand, found the smallest switch in the yard. Mother asked Jack "Do you really want me to whip Nita with that LIMB?" He replied "Yes'em, I surely do." Mother said "Well I believe that I will just use that switch on you." Boy was he surprised and asked if he could go find another one. She said NO. haha. I got to use my own switch on me. Wonder if Jack learned his lesson? What do y'all think? Really, I don't remember why we were in trouble or even getting the whipping? Do you Jack?

Scarlett (3/05/06)
This must be where Mother got the idea. I remember being sent out for our switches, too. And she even passed the hint on to our maid Virginia who sent us out once or twice. We had those big hedges across the back of the yard. And we better get a good one because we didn't want Mother to have to go get her own switch. It didn't take but once or twice.

No comments: