Sunday, February 26, 2006

When We Rode the Hogs

One day Scarett, Chuck and I all felt bad. We lay around on the couches all day. By afternoon, Chuck and I got bored with it, and got up to play, but Scarlett just lay there saying her head hurt. Marjorie came home from work, and took one look at Scarlett and packed her in the car and took her back to Cleveland Clinic. Marjorie thought Scarlett had polio. Dr. Russell took one look at her and said, no, she has spinal menigitis. I think Marjorie was relieved, which was a mistake. Dr. Russell gave Scarlett a shot, I've always thought it was in the spine, and said, "take her to Memphis as quick as you can get there." Marjorie and Charles borrowed Imogene and Franklin's car because it was in better shape, and took Scarlett to laBonheur, where she got to stay and get lots of good stuff including comic books. `

I don't know why Chuck and I didn't stay with Granny Powers, but we spent part of the time in Ruleville, either with Granny Vowell or out on the farm. And somebody would take us back to Cleveland during the day? But one morning the hogs got out, and we all ran out to round them up, and we rode them. I don't think we were supposed to. Can we tell now? Hogs are bigger than German Police Dogs.

Scarlett was fine. In fact,the doctors at La Bonheur were sorry Dr. Russell had killed the bug before they got a chance to culture it, but nobody else was. Sandra had to leave most of the good stuff at the hospital, because the medical people said they couldn't take a chance it was contaminated.

Manager 1-speaks:
Cleveland Clinic - OUCH!
Past Quiver River, in the new addition (Ronald's room) we were circling the room, but on top of the furniture (from the chair to the bed to the chest of drawers to the dresser to the chair - get the picture?) Maybe the floor was supposed to be the water and we couldn't touch it? Were the Powers there? I fell and hurt my arm, but was told not to cry or tell Mom and Dad or we would all get into trouble!

It was a Saturday, I know because we went to Cleveland that afternoon, late. And while at Aunt Marj's, I must have bumped my arm, because it really hurt! Well Aunt Marg called Dr. Austin and rushed me to the clinic (it was downtown Cleveland back then). My arm was x-rayed and yes, it was broken. But the story was that I hurt it at Aunt Marg's and so I never had to tell about the furniture jumping. Oops - I just did!

No comments: