Saturday, March 11, 2006

Biscuits again, and teacakes

Before we leave biscuits: I thought biscuits were the necessary bonding agent to hold the family together. I wish the siblings would tell me what they remember about the biscuit board. I do remember Granny making biscuits in it, but I don't believe she used it every time she made biscuits. I can see it on her counter, with the early morning light glowing in her yellow kitchen. And Aunt Jo told me Jack told her once if she ever served him canned biscuits, he would divorce her (I am not sure if she had served him canned biscuits or it was a prenuptual agreement). Now she says he does okay with the frozen ones, and she can just pull out as many as they need to cook. At any rate, I struggled to learn to make good biscuits so I could show my family how much I loved them. But if you talk biscuits to people, the debate ranges from flat biscuits to fluffy one. In Tom Harrison's family, flat biscuits were deemed the only acceptable biscuit, so I should have known our cultures were incompatible.

Nita has told us about having to take biscuits to school, but I've never heard any of the rest of the kids talk about it. I would love to have Nita's story again, and if any of the siblings have their own biscuit memories, to let us know.

And when the family lived...where? Boogar Den?...the family down the road was really poor, and Granny tried to have something for her own kids to eat when they came home, usually cold biscuits? but she could not feed the neighbor children, and it caused her grief, because she knew they were hungry. Do any of you remember this time? Is this when you rode to school in a pen?


It was many years and 4 children after we married that Jack and I had it out about canned biscuits. We were late for Sunday school, Gayle had decited to hid, we looked everywhere for her but no Gayle. Most everyone on our block was in sunday school already (don't think we even thought of calling police). We didn't know what to do !!!! Finally, here comes Gayle out of a closet etc. laughing like she had really done something. I"m sure she couldn't sit down for some time since we never made it to church. I thought since we were going to be at home I would cook us a nice breakfast. I got everything on the table and called my family to breakfast, saving the biscuits for last. I was so proud until Jack walked in and saw the canned biscuits. He hit the roof, "I don't eat canned biscuits" was a few of his words. Thought that was the end but he realized he needed me more than " home made" biscuits. It was several yearls later that Granny taught me how ti make biscuits. It was always a treat but guess what I discovered FROZEN biscuits. We eat the several times a week now and Jack always says "Thank you, that was good." My how times change!!!!!!!

G_Maw

No comments: