Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Visiting in ruleville

aWhenever we were in Ruleville mom would take us to an older house. It was one of her aunt and Uncle's house.
Uncle audi? I think if anyone know their names chime in. He was bed ridden and did not know us. We would go in and visit and say hello then go out in the yard to play while mom visited. I don't know how old I was but I remember this.

Scarlett says:
Aunt May (Mae ?) and Uncle Audie lived somewhere across the railroad track from Granny Vowell's. I seem to remember them coming to Granny's house some before Uncle Audie got beddridden. He was one of Granny's brothers. Aunt May had the same silver pattern as Mother. Donna, did I get that silver? I think I did; I think it is is my closet. Granny had another brother who moved back to Cleveland some time after Uncle Audie and Aunt May had died. Uncle T.N. and (?) wife moved back from somewhere in Tennessee to Deering, just down the street from Aunt Jo and Uncle Jack. They had a son named Gary. They were around for a good while. Do you remember visiting them? I seem to remember both those uncles looking very much like Grandaddy Papa

Camellia says: Ruby said Tilman and Roxieanna were building a house, and Audie would bring May over and ask her what room she wanted. Ruby hated that, but she and May enjoyed each other. They used to get sent away from the table for giggling....and May was married. T. N.'s wife's name was Ruby, too, but he had married earlier, to Blanche Newsome? Nell and Nita will know these things. Nita and Bobbye Lee stayed with May and Audie to help them. Nita will have to tell us about this. May had a dresser with lots of interesting stuff on it. And Scarlett, you do have Mother's and May's silver. I hope it is in your closet. I have Lera's, but I haven't come across it yet. H'mmmm. So I'll play: Dink, Dee, Audie (Michael Raby looks like him) Ada, Ruby, T. N. (I think Judd looks like him, and the T. stood for Tilman) and Lloyd, whom am I missing? If E ah or Diamond Nell or Jimskinner don't fill us in, I will tomorrow......

Uncle Audie and Anut Mae lived in the house that Cindy Willingham (that fixed flowers for both the Merigold weddings) lives in now, next to Nubby and Merle Tolbert. After they moved or passed, Aunt Elsie and Uncle Carl lived there. Was it a duplex apartment? I can't remember going thru the entire house. It had a wonderful screened in porch all around the side and back. I remember Uncle Audie as a tall man (but I could have been short) and Aunt Mae as shorter than Granny Vowell. Was Aunt Mae a sister to one of the other aunts? Maybe double-first whatevers?
David and Lisa went to Arlington last year and got pictures of Uncle Lloyd's grave. I remember Aunt Nita going with Aunt Nell to the funeral, but then I kind of get his funeral mixed in my head with JFK.

No comments: