Wednesday, March 01, 2006

FOOD STORIES

Ok it's time to start talking food for a few days.

I remember sitting at the kitchen table while granny mixed biscuits up by hand. Beleive it or not I don't remember eating them.
But I do remember grandaddy sitting next to me and pouring his coffee into the saucer blowing on it and then sipping out of the saucer. He did not sip that quietly.

Another coffee story that is very vivid is not a vowell story but a seghers story. My granny seghers in New Orleans would always bring out the tiny demitasse cups and make us a coffee with steamed milk. She would scald the milk on the stove and then pour most of it in the cup with a little coffee.
The first time I had what is called now a caffe au lait. I guess this is what caused my addiction to Starbucks. But I am trying to wean myself off onto Dunkin donuts coffee. It is cheaper and still tastes very good.
More tomorrow on food memories.

Scarlett said
I guess we can call these blogs our collective memory. I don't seem to have as many as Camellia or the good ed, but I do have a few. Some of my earliest are the Indian and four nickels I was promised for being still for an Xray. Mother always said she didn't know how I remember that because I wasn't two. And another memory I have (or have been told enough to think I have it) is being given coffee at the table by Grandmother Gibson. (I couldn't really remember this.) But I have always been told that was the first "food" from the big table and I believe she poured it in a saucer and cooled it before giving me some. It sure created a habit I haven't been able to break many years later.

Manager 1:
I remember Granny making round waffles! and I remember the spoon rest - yellow like a gingerbread man. Alas, but my favorite son broke that spoon rest. (Sigh!)

No comments: