Tuesday, March 21, 2006

OLD fallen down house in the cow pasture

Who remembers the old house in the field behind uncle franklin's farm. I remember playing in the house but we probably were not supposed to.
We did a lot of stuff we were not supposed to but I can't say everything or I might still get that switch again.
We used to climb around in the house probably to get away from the cow that never liked me. I did not like that cow she had horns. I remember one time diving under the electric wire just before she was trying to get me in the you know what. It was either get shocked or get horned. I picked getting shocked.

Camellia says: I've been thinking about that house since we've started our trip down memory lane. I remember cottonseed in it? And it seemed far out in the field, though I don't remember it being off limits. I remember once we were in there, and somebody started walking in another room...somebody that wasn't us! We saw the foot shadows beneath the door. It turned out to be a cat. And your mother tried to clap kids up who were out at that house. She said handclaps didn't carry as far in the country as they did in New Olreans. I think the cow's name was Bossy. She ruled the pasture. What I didn't do was swim in the irrigation ditch! How did I miss out on that? Did you? Will you tell me the stuff you did you weren't supposed to. I'm afraid I missed out on too much. *****

Okay, I'm BACK!
The old house in the field was really the old house in the pasture. My memory is not quite as good about that as it should be..... But
That was the house that Mother and Daddy lived in when they first came back to Ruleville. They were living in Nashville (I think) and Granny Terrell needed them to come home (I don't know why) (Gary, can you help me here?) So I guess that that means the other house was built and they were the first to live there?
The cow (I don't remember her (?) (horns on a Her?) name) but anyway the cow probably only chased you if you were harrassing her(?).
I do remember that one year the boys built a play house in the back yard. One room with many floors, windows (4), one door, no roof. Some young kids would get on the top of the house and yell at above mentioned cow!
Once the boys decided to camp out in the play house. Anyone who has ever been in the Mississippi Delta knows you can't camp out in the summer, in anything that doesn't have window closures or a roof or a closable door!!! The mosquitoes chased them inside. But we delicate girls really wanted to be out there with them bugs or not!
Irrigation ditch: the way that water was transferred to the rice fields. The water was icy cold! But where it came out of the pump the place was deep. We just knew that there were no snakes in that water because it was so cold - I was never that sure!
Manager 1

No comments: