Thursday, March 02, 2006

More Food Memories

I never remember a stove in Granny's front bed room but there was a fireplace on the left wall as you enter the room. It opened up to a fireplace in the living room and was sealed when the house was remodeled in 1959. I know nothing about Deer meat patties. Don't know of anyone that did any hunting back then unless grandaddy brought them home from the store where he worked. He may have help dress a deer for some of the meat.

G-Maw

Manager 1:
I can't continue that memory, good ed, but...
Granny told a story about when Ganddaddy did some animal hide (pelt) selling. I don't know if he hunted or trapped the creatures. But he would skin the animals and sell the pelt. Beaver pelt & tail, coon hide and the most money could be had for a POLECAT HIDE.
He caught a pole cat and proceeded to skin it, I think Granny tried hard to talk him out of it. But that was extra money - so he went on with his business - For those of you city slickers - a pole cat is a SKUNK and if you rupture the scent gland - there is a definite aroma. Well Granddaddy did skin it and did rupture the gland and Granny said that no amount of washing could get the smell out of their clothes. So she finally had to burn them and at that time there was no Baker's Department Store! She said she always got upset with Marvin about that!

Camellia says: I believe when we ate that squirrel, Big Ed had gone hunting, the good Ed. You might get your mom to tell you about his hunting trip, and you tell us. Uncle Charles said he never went hunting when he was young because they were too poor to buy bullets.

Scarlett says: Polecats seem to get around. I remember the weekend Chuck went with one of his friends to a grandmother's in the country/hills. The two boys thought they were pretty cool when they trapped a skunk in a 55 gallon drum. They dropped a couple of firecrackers in and had to ride home with their clothes hanging out the window. I think they had gotten washed off pretty well with tomato juice. But I think his clothes were a lost cause. (Camellia, am I close? I think memories get all jumbled.)

I can almost remember the name of the kid he went with. I don't know about the tomato juice. I think it was cold and getting your winter coat stunk up was something to consider. But I do remember daddy saying, "Why did you do that?' and Chuck answering, "I had never encountered a skunk before."

1 comment:

Camellia said...

the kid's name was Jimmy Hood.