Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Thin Hair

Jack and I moved to Ruleville when he got out of the Air Force. We stayed with his parents for awhile so Jack could run his Dad's store since his Dad was recovering from heart problems. After Dad was well enough to work again Jack bought a country store between Ruleville and Minter City and we rented the little green house across from where Beverly lives now. Jack was gone from early morning till later at night. I was so unhappy. I knew no one in Ruleville so everyday or so I would get up early and take Jack to work, then drive out to the country to worry Imogene all day. I was expecting Gayle, I was bigger than big and thought I knew everything about raising children. One day the cows got out and Imogene left me with the children while she got them put up. Gary, Becky and Ronald were suppose to be taking a nap. (David had not been thought about at this time) Gary and Becky didn't sleep but were no trouble-- but-- let me tell you about Mr RONALD. He did everything that he could and I gave him a spanking !!!! I still don't believe I did that. Imogene should have spanked me but Ronald got in big trouble. He never forgot that because several days later I had driven to Jack's store to take him some lunch and Ronald rode with me. I was driving through the country, not sure where I was but Ronald was in the back seat. All of a sudden Ronald grabbed me by my hair and pulled out hands full. He would not let my hair go and I could do nothing but sat there and yell. Ronald was so happy, he laughed all the way home. That hair never grew back thus my hair is now very very thin.
This is the same Ronald that visited Jack and me in Starkville. broke my girls bed and got lipstick all over my sofa. Every time Jack saw Ronald taking a nap he would put lipstick on him and wait for him to wake up so he could laugh at him. Ronald did a lot of lip painting Jack too.
GOOD OLE DAYS
G-Maw


Scarlett said
(Camellia finally told me how to do this)
Is this the same store with the wrestling bear?

Scarlett - please tell the bear one - it is one of my favorites. Manager 1

Scarlett said
This is where the collective memory may have to come in. I remember a tent--travelling show. They set up to the side of the store. Why the Powers family was there, I don't remember unless it was the "travelling show." I think the big draw was a bear which would wrestle a man. Of course, Chuck jumped up and said "I want to." Nobody could stop him before he got down off the bleachers (real just being logical?) to the "ring." Of course the bear was on a chain and was at least three times bigger than Chuck. But Chuck wrestled that bear. Was there a prize if he stayed for a certain amount of time? Was Ronald there? Did he wrestle too?

I probably wasn't old enough to have memories (maybe I just heard the story alot and I think it is my memory):
There was a bear cub. There was a Momma bear (No daddy bear) and you could wrestle the cub. I think that Ronald and Chuck both begged to wrestle but their moms said no. Well, as Jo can attest - Never tell those two - no. They sneaked in and wrestled, Aunt Marjorie turned around and saw the boys in the ring and yelled!!!! " That's my baby!" Now that is the way I remember it.
Manager 1

Vowell Voices

No comments: