Thursday, March 02, 2006

Leroy Percy and the Monkey Store

On the way to Leroy Percy there is a covenience store on 61 (Don said 1) named Swiftwater. If you keep going you get to the cut off that used to have the monkey store in the curve. I don't know highway numbers. But this Swiftwater is on the way out of Greenville--and we were always told that it was at that point that the water was the swiftest in the flood. Do you remember the monkey store?

Camellia begs...tell us more about the monkey store.

Scarlett complies
I guess it is #1. The monkey store was a truck stop--it was really busy. I remember going with Granny and Grandaddy Powers some. I am sure we wanted to stop every time we went by there. There were chicken wire cages out front with monkeys in them. I remember 20 or 25. But it probably was ten or fewer. We would just get out and watch the monkeys. I don't even remember buying anything at the store. But it was always a treat to get to stop at the monkey store.

7 comments:

Foxy G-Maw said...

The monkey store is on Hwy 1 South. I always go to to Hollandale on hwy 61 but remember The Monkey Store being pointed out to me once when we were traveling south of greenville. Does anyone else know where it is?

G-Maw

Camellia said...

Mer'Alice...it's the Lost Line of Nita. Welcome home.

And I think I know the store, but I don't remember the Monkey.

Camellia said...

No, the store was not the one I was thinking of. Was this the big truck stop going toward the Mississippi River bridge?

Camellia said...

I remember the truck stop but not the monkeys. I remember going there with Granddaddy and Granny Powers, and it seems like we went there specifically to that truck stop. Were we doing something else when they took us? If we just went there, then did we go anywhere else locally to see the sites, like the roadside park in the hills and the Monkey store?

Camellia said...

I meant, remember when Granddaddy and Granny Powers took us the roadshide park in the hills to have a litte picnic. And I would have sworn they just drove us over to the Monkey Store. They just took us to these places and it was great, only the places were just nooks, really.

Camellia said...

I have pictures! But I knew we didn't go by the monkey store that time...just that they took us to these ordinary little places that didn't cost money, and it seemed glamorous. Do you remember the drive-in?

Camellia said...

Yeh. They took us to see Godzilla. We also saw a mummie movie on their t.v. Do you remember the big bed Granddaddy slept in. Granny might have slept in it, but she slept with me if you weren't there. Where would you have been? And one night, something scritched scritched scritched on the window. Maybe after Godzilla. It was a bush.