Sunday, March 12, 2006

Two more memories

I missed a day was at a wine tasting the last 2 days. Added 3 more cases to the wine cellar.
I guess you could call holly and I wino's but we sure like our bottle of wine with Saturday dinners.

Well the first memory is XMAS again. or really anytime we ate at Granny's. The kids were always fed first and sent out on the porch.
The men were fed next at the table. I don't really know when the aunt's and granny ate. I guess this was before women's lib?

The second memory is granny giving us I think 10 cents maybe 15 and we could walk down the street to town where the little store was on the corner. We would stand there in front of the candy counter deciding how much candy we could get for that amount of money. We always came back with a paper bag full of candy or was it pockets full. I think it usually lasted a few hours.

Camellia says: Tables...I remember the men and kids ate at the same time. The men ate in the dining room, and the kids ate on floors or the kitchen table. It seems like over the years, they began making room for the women, but they still ran and fetched and served. It was a big deal to 'graduate' to the grown-ups table. And later, plotting your strategy about where you were going to eat....the grown-ups had more gossip, but the kids had more giggles.

I head more than one sibling sister say when they were kids, the children ate after the men finished, and the men thought nothing of sitting for hours after lunch drinking coffee royale. They swore their children were never going to have to sit around hungry and wait. We didn't either. By the way, Good Ed, I don't recall being mad about your climbing the water towers (why should I when it seems like I would have been in on that decision), but when the girls got old enough, they helped clean up and wash dishes, and the guys didn't have to. Now does that seem fair? ******

No comments: