Saturday, March 25, 2006

driveins

There were 2 driveins One in Cleveland that we would all get in cars and rive around in circles. We would stop and order something. I think it was chuck that like kamikasies. I know I liked cherry coke the best. What was everyone elses favorite. THen there was the one in ruleville by the ball parks? We went there a lot after playing baseball. Who remembers the names of these driveins.

Scarlett:
The one in Cleveland was Bob's. It was on the highway next to the bowling alley. O.K. Ruleville folks. I've forgotten the one in Ruleville. Or are you referring to . . . . (senior moment--I can't pull up the name). Just got it (I think)--the King (Keen) Freeze on the road across from the high school.

There was something else about the King Freeze. After I got my license, I stopped one summer day to get something. I was at the window and suddenly realized the car was rolling backwards. I panicked. It rolled into the street and stopped at a sign post across the street. Nothing was coming, thank goodness, and no damage was evident. But it sure scared me.


Manager 1:
Ruleville's was the Mecca - it was by what once was a little league ball field (on the same spot that Yogi had a car lot -{name please, Yogi}). Mecca wasn't like Bob's that had car hops, we had to get out and order or go in to eat. A Mecca burger (chilli, cheese, slaw) was the best. Once I stayed in Eudora with Jackie and while I was there I got sick - tonsils you know, Uncle Edward came to pick us up and we stopped in Indianola at Labella's to get a Labella burger (like a Mecca burger) I was too sick to eat and enjoy it. Oh yeah, Aunt Nita, I won't tell how you gave me Alka Seltzer for my tonsillitis.
Bob's had a sandwich like a ham hoagie that was wonderful! You know we Vowell's talk a lot about food, don't we?
When I saw drive in , Ed, I thought first of the Chief Drive In (show) in Cleveland. Did we ever go there as a family?

Camellia says: The Chief drive-in in Cleveland was much fun. Uncle Edward managed it at one time, and Aunt Nita and Uncle Edward lived in that long house that was at its side. The drive-in had a playground up front, and during the summer months when boys couldn't camp out in a house with no windows, door or roof, you had to use Pic. And you could see it from Granmy Powers house? One more thing about the King Freeze. Am I crazy, or wasn't that the first location of the Cleveland RentAll?

Scarlett says: Yes, I think it was. And do you mean see the screen from Granny Powers house? I think we could because we could see Baxter's if we looked down the street.

No comments: