Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Crochet and Knitting

When we were young, one of the Granny's, Vowell or Powers , taught us how to make a chain. When I got older, I wanted to make a shawl, but kept getting stuck in the same place in the instructions. I went to Granny Vowell's, and she crocheted a bit, and then gave it to me. I had to turn it around because she crocheted lefthanded, but I learned and made many a shawl. Sitting in her living room and crocheting and talking with her wonderful.

She told me she learned to knit righthanded. She said she learned to knit when the government asked the women to make sweaters for the boys fighting in World War I. She said she put her name in the sweater she knitted, and the fellow who got it wrote a thank you note, but then someone came and asked her not to put her name in the box, because they wanted every boy to think it might could have come from his mother or his own sister.

No comments: