Friday, March 03, 2006

More food

I guess we can see where many of our memories come from. I was told by a psychology professor once that this is normal in the South because most people had lots of food when families got together. In fact I remember hearing that sweets and dessert have been a big part of family meals because they were such a treat to have after the crops made and Granny Vowell had a little extra money to buy sugar.

Crops making are also part of the history of more fireworks at Christmas and New Year's than on July 4th.

Anybody remember the dishpans of boiled peanuts at Aunt Imogene and Uncle Franklin's? Sometimes we got them still warm. The liquid was salty; the shell was salty; the peanuts were salty. I would put the wet peanut in my mouth, shell and all, and suck the juice out; then open it and eat the peanuts out. I still like boiled peanuts better than roasted peanuts in the shell.

Scarlett: I thought of something else. Remember making ice cream--before electric freezers came to be? Cranking, taking turns, packing quilts on top and having some kid sit on it to keep the freezer from moving? I think many of the generation above us liked ice cream from hand-cranked freezers better because they said it froze firmer. Peach, vanilla, strawberry, mmmmm.
I'm glad the good ed is doing this.

No comments: