Saturday, March 25, 2006

Family history

Does anyone remember being told that the family migrated east? What little I remember had to do with migrating west (Okalahoma ?) and not doing well then turning around and coming back east. It seems that is the bunch who settled in the Delta right about where Granny Vowell's house stood. Anybody?


Camellia says, We'll ask the siblings. Mr. History says the migration from the hill country in the south began before the Civil War, as the settlers' kids grew up and ran out of room to claim their own. They went West (Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma), and those who went the earliest tended to get the best land and stay. The later arrivals found it hard to make a living, so they returned to the last frontier: The Mississippi Delta. Our neighbor (Bonnie Joel, who was also a Vowell, a distant cousin) was a baby when her family returned to the South. She traveled by covered wagon, and she got a severe case of poison ivy. She said an Indian took her and 'cured' her and she was never allergic to poison ivy again. Just an aside note here.

1 comment:

Camellia said...

Scarlett, my brain does associations...but Mr. History is Kent, and he gave me the history when I read him your post, and Bonne told me her story when I was staying with DAddy. I forgot I was supposed to be walking with Miss Fran this am as soon as I hung talking to her. The brain, the brain.