Thursday, March 30, 2006

Granny Terrell

I remember Granny Terrell being the absolutely sweet. We didn't get to go to their house much. I think the boys got to do that more...the boys being on the farm, and the girls being in Cleveland. Wasn't the farm at the end of the road? Once we did go there, and she sent us out to crack the eggs a chicken quit laying. I had never seen unhatched chicklings, and they were astonishing. When Goldie Hawn was on Laugh-in she looked just like one of those chicklings.

Granny told the story of Ronald's birthday. He got a new car for his birthday,and he loved to take toys apart. Franklin asked his mother not to let Ronald take his toys apart on the first day he got them, so she was watching when he took his car in a corner to disassemble it. She went over to make him quit, which she felt a burning pain in her arm. Becky was biting her for fussing at Ronald. Don't make Becky mad at the reunion.

And Terrell used to stay with her after school. The report was always what cookies she and Granny Terrell made that afternoon. We used to count our Grannies just the way we added up cousins....we were rich with Grannies.

Just don't mess with my Nonald - or so they said I said!
Granny Terrell lived over the river and turn at the store spot, then down that road. Ronald and Gary got to go over on their bikes or even on the infamous horse "Red", I always had to wait on someone to take me.
Granny had a telephone, we couldn't because the phone company would not run poles over the river and if they went around the long way it would be too expensive. I think that the bill for the poles would be mom and dad's?
Down the road from Granny Terrell's was where Mom and Dad lived when they first married. That house burned while they lived there and if memory serves me correctly, Yogi was spending the night with them.
We have always been rich in grannies. You know all of us cousins called the others granny- Granny, so I always thought I had more than 2!
Manager1

Scarlett says: I think Gayle was the one who was most confused for a while. She tried to make the teachers as school believe (as she did) that Granny Powers was her real grandmother. Of course, to the rest of us cousins the teachers didn't know what they were talking about. We all had Granny Vowell, Granny Powers, Granny Terrell, and Granny Seghers (later Granny and Grandaddy Lipps). Nobody understands when I talk about my four Grannies.

Camellia says: Part of Gayle's problem was that she thought Aunt Margie was her mother (because Scarlett and Gayle looked so much alike) who just wasn't up to more babies, so she gave Gayle to Jack and Jo.

No comments: